17 May 2016

Review: Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo
Publisher: Thomas Nelson Publishing
Release Date: October 31, 2010
Book Format: Paperback
# of Pages: 163
Synopsis: (Taken From Goodreads)
A beautifully written glimpse into heaven that will encourage those who doubtand thrill those who believe.

Ron Hall, coauthor of Same Kind of Different as Me

Do you remember the hospital, Colton? Sonja said. Yes, mommy, I remember, he said. That s where theangels sang to me.

When Colton Burpo made it through an emergency appendectomy, his familywas overjoyed at his miraculous survival. What they weren t expecting, though, was the story that emerged in the months that followed a story as beautiful as itwas extraordinary, detailing their little boy s trip to heaven and back.

Colton, not yet four years old, told his parents he left his body during thesurgery and authenticated that claim by describing exactly what his parents weredoing in another part of the hospital while he was being operated on. He talked ofvisiting heaven and relayed stories told to him by people he met there whom hehad never met in life, sharing events that happened even before he was born. He also astonished his parents with descriptions and obscure details about heaven thatmatched the Bible exactly, though he had not yet learned to read.

With disarming innocence and the plainspoken boldness of a child, Colton tells of meeting long-departed family members. He describes Jesus, the angels, how really, really big God is, and how much God loves us. Retold by his father, but using Colton s uniquely simple words, Heaven Is for Real offers a glimpseof the world that awaits us, where as Colton says, Nobody is old and nobodywears glasses.

Heaven Is for Real will forever change the way you think of eternity, offeringthe chance to see, and believe, like a child."


My Review:
I bought Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo with my own funds and this is my honest review.

I had been meaning to read Heaven is For Real since I bought my copy forever ago, and I am finally glad to say that I have read and enjoyed this story. I am not a very religious person myself, but this story was truly inspirational and I loved reading little Colton's story.

Three year old Colton and his family went through a hell of a ride during the time that Colton was so sick, and the fact that this little boy pulled through with the prayer from his family and their church and everyone else truly is a miracle.

The main idea of this story is that the little boy Colton, gets sick for some time. In the beginning his parents are convinced that his sickness is just a stomach bug that will pass and it seems to for a few days. But it comes back not long after and it does not go away. The little boy continues to get sicker and sicker, vomiting constantly all day long until his parents finally take him to the hospital. At the hospital, doctors do test after test coming up with nothing. They cannot find anything wrong but Colton just keeps getting sicker and sicker to the point that his parents think their little boy is going to die.

Eventually the doctors come to the conclusion that Colton is so sick because his appendix ruptured and his body has been filling with poison for a few days. Now that the problem has been identified, the doctors work hard to fix him up and eventually Colton is ready to go home. The bulk of the book talks about years after his hospital stay when he starts to talk to his parents about his stay in heaven. I will not give away any of the interesting things he says to his parents because that would just take away the fun from the book, but I have to say every time something came out of this little boys mouth he shocked his parents and I can imagine all of us readers were shocked too.

The book like I said before was a really beautiful story even for those who are not religious. I am so happy I finally took the time to sit down and really read this story and see what all the hype was about back when this came out as well as the movie which I want to watch now. In the end, the book definitely gets a 5 stars I loved reading through this family's story! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs