24 January 2016

Review: This is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp 
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Release Date: January 5, 2015
# of Pages: 292
Synopsis: 10:00 a.m.
The principal of Opportunity, Alabama's high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m.
The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03
The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05
Someone starts shooting.

Told over the span of 54 harrowing minutes from four different perspectives, terror reigns as one student's calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival. 



My Review:
I borrowed This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp from work and this is my honest review.

This Is Where It Ends is the story of Opportunity High and the fateful day they were involved in a school shooting. Throughout the book we get accounts from 4 different students who have something to do with the school on this day. The backstory of this book is that two of the characters Tyler and Autumn have lost their mom tragically and they have not been the same since. Autumn still wants to be a dancer to live on her mom's legacy but her father will not have this. For a while Tyler stands by his sister as if to protect her, but then things start to happen and Tyler gives up on life. The other accounts in the story are, Sylvia Autumns girlfriend, Tomas who is Sylvia’s brother and Clare who is Tyler’s ex girlfriend.

One morning the school gathers together in the auditorium for the beginning of a new school year assembly held by their principal. Little do they know, they will not be making it out of there anytime soon. I do not really want to get into all of the details about why this is happening as well as which students were trapped inside and which were outside because that would be spoilery but I do want to talk about the characters.

An aspect of this book that I really enjoyed was the relationships in this book whether or not they were toxic or healthy they were real relationships nothing was like love at first sight crap that some authors cannot pull off. For starters there was the relationship between Autumn and Sylvia. At first it was a little strained from the death of her mother and the fact that Autumns brother did not approve of his little sister being lesbian. Even though we see points throughout the chapters we experience moments between the two that make them seem so in love and I love those times.
Another relationship noticed in this book is the relationship between Sylvia and her brother Tomas. This one struck me hard because of how close I am with my brother. I cannot give details about their relationship because every aspect about it has something important to do with the story but it was great to see how much Tomas loved his sister how far he was willing to go for her, and she felt the same about him.

Overall, this book was raw and those are my favorite types of books. Nothing felt fake, I honestly felt like I was watching this story on the news that’s how real it was. I enjoyed the writing style and I hope to read something by this authors in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs