18 June 2015

Review: Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein

Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein 
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: April 21, 2015
Book Format: Hardcover
# of Pages: 384
Synopsis: Forget everything you thought you knew about genies!

Azra has just turned sixteen, and overnight her body lengthens, her olive skin deepens, and her eyes glisten gold thanks to the brand-new silver bangle that locks around her wrist. As she always knew it would, her Jinn ancestry brings not just magical powers but the reality of a life of servitude, as her wish granting is controlled by a remote ruling class of Jinn known as the Afrit.

To the humans she lives among, she’s just the girl working at the snack bar at the beach, navigating the fryer and her first crush. But behind closed doors, she’s learning how to harness her powers and fulfill the obligations of her destiny.

Mentored by her mother and her Zar “sisters”, Azra discovers she may not be quite like the rest of her circle of female Jinn . . . and that her powers could endanger them all. As Azra uncovers the darker world of becoming Jinn, she realizes when genies and wishes are involved, there’s always a trick.


My Review:
I borrowed Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein from work and this is my honest review.

I originally picked this up, because when any new teen book comes into the store I have to find out what it is. As soon as I saw this book, I knew I had to have it for a few reasons. The first reason is I love paranormal those are my favorite books! The other reason I had to have it was because it was all purple!

Becoming Jinn, is about the main character Azra who turns 16 and with that comes her new genie powers. Azra was born into family full of genies, her mother and all of her Zar sisters, whom Azra refers to as her aunts. All of those aunts had one daughter and those daughters are considered Azra's Zar sisters. Only problem is, Azra does not get along with her sisters with the exception of Laila whom she is the closest to.

I love the concept of the girls having to grant wishes to keep their powers. I know that is something genies are supposed to generally do. But I like how the author made genies seem so realistic in this story. I am so used to seeing books about, vampires, werewolves, and zombies. That reading about genies for the first time was awesome.

I loved this book because it never got boring. Every chapter got more and more interesting as the book went on the twists and turns never stopped coming. I love the fact that Goldstein was able to keep my eyes glued to every page as they happened. I did not feel the need to take a break once the whole time I was reading.

The part of the book that was hardest for me was the love triangle. I could not for the life of me choose between Henry and Nate. It was clear who the main character was going to choose but even when that happened there were still parts that would pull me closer to one, and then to the other throughout the whole book. Still after finishing I have no idea who I want Azra to be with. I can only hope there will be a second book to explain things.

**Favorite Quotes***
"Something about a crab. I zoned out, so I'm not sure if it bit her toe or she bit its toe, but either way, she's in no shape to work." (121) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs