25 March 2015

Review: We Should Hang Out Sometime by Josh Sundquist

We Should Hang Out Sometime by Josh Sundquist
Publisher: Little Brown, Books for Young Readers
Release Date: December 23, 2014
Book Format: Hardcover
# of Pages: 336
Synopsis: A bright, poignant, and deeply funny autobiographical account of coming of age as an amputee cancer survivor, from Josh Sundquist: Paralympic ski racer, YouTube star, and motivational speaker.


Josh Sundquist only ever had one girlfriend.
For twenty-three hours.
In eighth grade.

Why was Josh still single? To find out, he tracked down the girls he had tried to date and asked them straight up: What went wrong?

The results of Josh's semiscientific, wholly hilarious investigation are captured here. From a disastrous Putt-Putt date involving a backward prosthetic foot, to his introduction to CFD (Close Fast Dancing), to a misguided "grand gesture" at a Miss America pageant, this story is about looking for love--or at least a girlfriend--in all the wrong places.

Meet The Author: (Taken From Goodreads)
 JOSH SUNDQUIST is a Paralympian, author, motivational speaker, and Halloween enthusiast.












My Review:
I borrowed this book from my work Barnes & Noble, and this is my honest review.

Before picking out this book, I had no idea anything about it or if it was even going to be good. My sole deciding factor was that I walked by a table a work that it was featured on, I picked it up, and the rest is history.

In the beginning I calculated how many pages I would have to read a day to have the book finished in the 2 week time period that I had before I had to return it back to work. It came out to be about 23 pages a day, and I have to say this just was not enough for me. I ended up reading many more pages then I needed to. I just couldn’t put them book down.

The premise behind this story was incredibly interesting. First Josh is introduced the religious home schooled boy who lost one of his legs due to cancer. Now do not get me wrong he is much more than this but this is sort of how he refers to himself a lot throughout the story. After we learn a little about this background, we jump into the list of girls he has put his heart on the line for, but was disappointed.

The first girl we meet is Sarah Stevens, whom I think was quite possibly one of the worst considering she said yes to dating Josh and then had one of her friends break up with him for her. I cannot say this is totally unexpected because I saw this happen quite a few times back in middle school, but I still felt awful for Josh when he was dumped by someone else. It had to really hurt considering how he felt about her. Liza Taylor Smith was one of the least interesting ones even though to Josh she was the most interesting. I feel like we just did not see enough of her to really get a feel for her and what his feelings for her were. Lastly; skipping a little ahead was Sasha, she by far was the worst for me. I just felt like she seemed so perfect and she seemed to like Josh, and then she gave him the cold shoulder after he traveled all the way to Las Vegas and never called him again. Sure I understand that this was one of the biggest night of her life but still no reason to be hurtful.

Now to talk about the few girls I liked; not that I did not like the girls above, but I just enjoyed these stories a little more. Francesca Marcelo, at first I was scared I totally thought she had no interest in Josh at all, but I slowly started to realize that she did like him, they just both happened to be shy. Evelyn Williamson was up next, she was pretty cool too. It’s crazy to think that many of these girls did like Josh he was just in such a weird place that he could not see it. Thats one of the reasons I felt bad.

I loved this book for a few reasons the first is because of the way the book was set up. I liked how the beginning of a new girl would show her name, the background, then after a few chapters it would be a hypothesis, and then the conclusion. Also, the author was able to recount basically his whole life story in a way that made it interesting to all of this readers. There was never a time when I felt like I was not connected to him as character. I always felt some kind of emotion whether it was laughter, sadness, or happiness I always felt something, which made this book an extremely good read for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs