29 November 2013

Review: The Devouring by Simon Holt

The Devouring by Simon Holt
Publisher: Little Brown, and Company
Release Date: September 1, 2008
Number of Pages: 231
Synopsis: The Vours: Evil, demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hours of the winter solstice.

When Reggie reads about the Vours in a mysterious old journal, she assumes they are just the musings of an anonymous lunatic. But when her little brother, Henry, begins to act strangely, it's clear that these creatures exist beyond a madwoman's imagination, and Reggie finds out what happens when fears come to life.

To save the people she loves, Reggie must learn to survive in a world of nightmares. Can she devour her own fears before they devour her?

The Devouring is an engrossing tale of terror that will have you wondering: what if your worst fears became your living nightmare?


My Review:
I bought The Devouring by Simon Holt awhile back with my own money and this is my honest review.

I decided to buy The Devouring because I love everything horror and I have heard so many things about this book like how creepy it was and how it was like watching a horror movie and so me being a horror geek when my mom picked it out of my TBR cup for me I was excited, especially because it meant I got to read it a few days before and on Halloween night which made it even creepier!

Starting off the book I was loving it the whole story about the Vours on Sorry Night and how they got Jeremiah that part gave me the chills but I loved it, and so when Reggie and Aaron decided to do that weird ritual I knew exactly what was going to happen. Now don’t take that the wrong way either. Sometimes books are bad when you can figure out what happens before it happens but in this case it was exhilarating! It was sad though seeing Henry go through everything he did because he was the sweetest little boy and I loved the relationship he had with his sister.

Another reason why I loved everything about this book was because not only was it very creepy, the author actually added in some other factors too like there were a few emotional moments when it came to the siblings mother leaving them and those moments made me tear up a little. The reason I say this is a good thing is because not all authors can make a scary book and add in other emotions so well and Holt did that perfectly.

The one tiny thing that I didn’t like about the book was that it seemed like everybody was a vour or had some affiliation with them and that was annoying. It’s no fun if everybody’s the same you want to have some sort of difference between all of the characters. But other than that little part the rest of this book was absolutely phenomenal and I just ordered book two because I can’t wait to dive right in! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs