22 June 2013

Review: The Reece Malcolm List by Amy Spalding

The Reece Malcolm List by Amy Spalding
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: February 5, 2013
Book Format: e-ARC
Number of Pages: 352
Rating: 5 out of 5
Synopsis: Things I know about Reece Malcolm:

1. She graduated from New York University.
2. She lives in or near Los Angeles.
3. Since her first novel was released, she’s been on the New York Times bestseller list every week.
4. She likes strong coffee and bourbon.
5. She’s my mother.

Devan knows very little about Reece Malcolm, until the day her father dies and she’s shipped off to live with the mother she’s never met. All she has is a list of notebook entries that doesn’t add up to much.

L.A. offers a whole new world to Devan—a performing arts school allows her to pursue her passion for show choir and musicals, a new circle of friends helps to draw her out of her shell, and an intriguing boy opens up possibilities for her first love.

But then the Reece Malcolm list gets a surprising new entry. Now that Devan is so close to having it all, can she handle the possibility of losing everything?


My Review: 
I received The Reece Malcolm List by Amy Spalding from Netgalley and this is my honest review. 

When I picked this one up I was definitely in the mood for a light contemporary and that is what I got! The Reece Malcolm List is about a girl named Devan who suddenly has to move in with her estranged mother when her father dies. So the book is basically about her getting to know the mother she never knew and it was really a sweet story. 

A big part of the book was about theater because the man character Devan was a big theater geek. Normally the book being about something I’m not interested in would annoy me but I enjoyed how the author incorporated it into the novel. The way she did it you did not really need to be a theater geek to be able to enjoy the story which I loved. I also really liked how interested in her mother’s job Devan was. In the story her mother who shes basically just meeting is a writer and she thinks it’s so cool but she never says anything because she does not think it’s appropriate to talk about but either way I loved who interested she was. 

Devan was such an enthusiastic character! When she moved to California she was there for less than a week it seemed and she had already made a million friends, and to top that off they were all theater geeks just like her. I enjoyed how she handled herself very well, she tried not to let out her emotions at first but by the end she really started to open up and let people in which is great I love when characters change for the better. 

Through the whole book there was probably only one thing that annoyed me. When I was nearing the end I noticed that the author repeated words a lot. For example to show that someone was close to Devan she would say “he was standing close close close” to emphasize the closeness or something like that. But she did this so many times in so many scenes just with different words and it kind of got annoying after awhile, even though I did think it was kind of cute at first. 

Other than all of that though I loved this book! The characters were amazing including Sai I could not get enough of him! I also really liked Brad he is definitely the kind of step dad I would want to have if it ever came down to that. In the end the book gets a solid 5 out of 5 stars for just being so great!





1 comment:

  1. I'm not too interested in theater either, but I was really impressed with how Spalding managed to make that section of the story interesting, even for people who didn't care so much about theater.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you guys so leave as many as your heart desires =)

 
Imagination Designs